Benefiting both your health and your budget, air conditioner filters are essential. Filters clogged with dirt make the air conditioner work harder to circulate air through them. Keep them clean to avoid future AC repairs in Liberty.
The filters in an air conditioner prevent harmful pollutants and allergens from entering your indoor space. They consequently have a noticeable impact on your health and well-being. An air conditioner filter can shield you from some pollutants, such as:
- Fur from animals
- Dander or dead skin
The Most Popular AC Filters
- Fiberglass Air Filters: These filters are only meant to be used once. Although this kind of filter has a lower MERV rating than most, homeowners frequently choose it because of its affordable price.
- High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filters: The American specification for a “True HEPA” filter states that HEPA filters can capture 99.97% of all airborne particles measuring 0.3 microns or larger.
- Pleated Air Filters: are typically considerably better at preventing dust from entering a room.
- Reusable Or Washable Air Filters: These filters typically have a MERV value of 1-4, which disqualifies them from being used in heavy pollution conditions and explains why they are too inexpensive.
When It's Time To Replace An Air Filter, What If It Seems Clean?
Around 1 to 3 months after you install a new AC filter, it will be time to change it since it will appear unclean and have a dust buildup. If your filter seems to be in good shape and has been in place for the advised amount of time, you should check:
- Size of the filter: If the filter is too loose or tiny for the opening, air may flow around it rather than through it and require AC repair in Liberty sooner than expected.
- If the filter is fitted backward: Most air filters have a proper airflow direction. Arrows on the filter frame should point in the direction of the fan.
- If you’re using the correct filter: Low-end filters won’t capture dust effectively. However, the air cleaning effectiveness will rise with a filter with a higher MERV rating.
- The pace of air exchange: If your appliance operates appropriately, it should cycle for around 15 minutes, with a maximum of three cycles each hour. It might not generate the necessary air exchange rate if it operates for less time than this. Your system will need to be examined by an AC repair in Gladstone specialist.
Issues Brought On By A Dirty Air Filter:
- Overheating: Your air conditioner may overheat if the filter in your HVAC system is clogged or unclean. Your cooling device has to work harder to keep up when the filter is obstructed. This increases the unit’s pressure and may lead to overheating.
- Increased Energy Bills: Your HVAC will use more energy if it needs to work harder than usual. As a result, your AC has to work harder than usual to keep you cool; your utility bills will go up, and you need AC repair in Gladstone sooner than expected.
- Dirty Air: If your air conditioner isn’t working correctly, your home’s air could grow stale and unhygienic. The first step in ensuring that you and your family have clean indoor air is to clean your filter. Call a specialist for AC repair in Liberty.
- Uncomfortable Temperatures: Your indoor air not cooling to the proper temperature is one of the most evident issues brought on by a dirty air filter. Your home will become uncomfortable and warm if the cooling is inadequate. You should check your air filter if you discover that your home is warm or not cooling to the proper temperature.
- System Malfunction: A complete system failure may occur if the air filter of an AC unit is neglected for an extended period. This is due to the unit’s limited ability to operate at twice the power before eventually failing. You may spend a lot on AC repair in Gladstone and perhaps even hundreds of dollars on a replacement.
- Short Cycling: Short cycling occurs when an air conditioner frequently turns on and off because of a clogged air filter. The machine has to work harder to force air through a blocked filter. Instead of having a uniform temperature throughout your home, hot and cool areas start to appear.
- A Buildup Of Dust Around Air Vents: The surfaces can be contrasted with other surfaces that aren’t near vents. The air filter needs to be changed if they are dustier. The “white sheet test” is the best method for determining whether dust has gathered around the air vents. Five inches should be left between the white cloth and the vents of the appliance. The filter is unclean if the white sheet turns gray.
Suggestions For Filter Maintenance
While clogged air filters might cause an AC to stop functioning, there are numerous ways to take good care of your AC so that it continues to run effectively for a more extended period. All that is required, depending on the type of filter, is a routine cleaning or filter replacement.
- Filter Cleaning: You don’t need to buy a new air filter for your air conditioner when it gets soiled if it uses a reusable air filter. It has to be washed at least once every month. Remove the reusable air filter from the air conditioner and wash it in a tub or basin filled with warm water to clean it.
Use a mild detergent and a soft brush to eliminate all the sticky debris on the filter. After washing, shake the filter to remove any extra water that may have become caught inside. Let it air dry, and then put it back in the air conditioner.
- Filter Replacement: Change the filter frequently if your air conditioner uses disposable filters. Installing a new one allows you to avoid the possibility of endangering the delicate nature of the filter. According to the recommendation, you should swap the disposable filter each month. How frequently you do this depends on the kind and caliber of the filter.
To maintain quality and reduce energy consumption, washable air conditioning filters should be taken out once a month or twice during peak usage seasons and evaluated for cleaning or replacement. You might need to contact a certified AC repair in Gladstone specialist if you’ve cleaned or replaced your filter, but your home’s cooling issues persist.
Any more queries regarding your air filter or air conditioner? Barker Heating and Cooling would be pleased to speak with you if you got in touch with us today. Contact us at 816-452-2665 for AC repair in Liberty.